Friday, April 8, 2011

A few small notes about the Kindle Experience

Have these paper notes that have been following me around and I've been refusing to type them up. So without any further ado, here they are, random paper notes:

Sync to Last Page Read, not Furthest - I'm reading Infinite Jest on my Kindle, a book that should be a test platform for all future e-readers.  One of the things I do is keep flipping between where I'm reading and the footnotes in the back.  Then the Kindle syncs to another device and when I choose Furtherest Page Read it sticks me in the back with the footnotes.  I need to sync to the "last consecutive page read".  Perhaps I skipped ahead and read a later chapter.  Perhaps there could be multiple read marks.  One at where I last consecutively read, one at the end of the later chapter I skipped ahead and read and one in the footnotes section for the last footnote read.  (not just for Infinite Jest, would also be good for History Books, Self Help Books and other books you may skip around in.  Another good test for the Kindle would be a choose your own adventure book.  Not sure if they still have those anymore, but this seems like the perfect platform for it.)

Seamless UI Experience - I'm not going to take the time to make screen shots, but try to make the buttons on the PC/MAC versions of the Kindle application the same.  Same buttons.  Same order.  Same program.  Just different platforms.  Don't make it obvious that you have different teams working on different software.  Synchronize!

(and I still hate clipping limits.  More on that later.)

No comments:

Post a Comment