Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Kindle Quick Hits



Kindle for Mac - New Features:  I like the highlight a word auto look up in the dictionary and even better than that I love the Google and Wikipedia buttons that I use after the word doesn't exist in your pitiful dictionary.  Good job thinking about what happens when the word's not there and the user still wants to look it up.  Way to use the fact that I'm already on the computer to lead me to more information.  Still needs FB/Twitter integration so I can quote from it the same way I can quote from my kindle.  (Of course I can't quote from my kindle ever since Infinite Jest went over the clipping limit and became an old fashioned book that you have to retype quotes from, but that's a different story altogether).


Kindle Device Update: Did the software update this morning, but was still a little terrified during the reboot process.  What if it doesn't come back on?  But it did and all seemed fine.  Location numbers were gone, but there were no page numbers in their place.  I kinda liked the new minimalism of only the % number on the left hand side, but I wanted to know how to get page numbers back. (A "welcome to the new version of Kindle" page would have been nice.  Outlining what's fixed in the update and letting me know how to find out what page I'm on.  Perhaps an info button?)  Still having troubles transferring my position from Kindle for Mac to Kindle device.  It tried to link me to the furthest read footnote in the back of the book again.  Then I had to manually advance to the furthest page.  Maybe if it offered "furthest page, furthest consecutive page, last bookmark, last highlight" I could have found my place easier.



Update: You know what I'd really like to know?  How many pages left in this chapter.  How many pages until a section break.  Cause I'm pushing and I'm pushing and that's the information I require.  In the past I'd just flip forward and check it.  But whenever I flip forward in the Kindle it's always hard to go back to my place.  So yes.  I paid for my ebook.  It probably has chapter marks.  Now why not make your software countdown to them?  (this also brings up how I'd like a stat page for after I read the book.  Telling me which sections took the longest, average pages read per minute, average pages read per day, total reading time, total reading time (actual), words looked up, highlights/bookmarks made, etc, etc.  Tell me everything about how I read the book.  (also put me on a score card with other readers of the same book, other fast readers, other slow readers, other readers who read the book during the same time period.  All of this gets back to my social network/social reading idea.  That was kindof derailed when I learned the true horror of clipping limits (limits that have allowed me to share 0 clips from Infinite Jest, promoting the book and the Kindle on Twitter 0 times and pretty much knocking me out of the whole social reading delusion.  Also there's been no movement on large print menus for the kindle (even though I tried to explain it to customer service).  Seems like development takes place in a vacuum and I am very much outside of that vacuum.)

No comments:

Post a Comment